Saturday, November 8, 2008

Food for thought.

I was talking to my seniors the other day and they happened to mention that they might continue their ACCA Part 3 in the UK.
They then turned and asked me, "So what about you? Where are you gonna do your Part 3?"
I replied, "Umm, Malaysia?"
And there was a moment of silence, or should I say, disbelief.

Costing less than RM30K to complete all three years in Sunway and graduate with an ACCA qualification which is recognised globally, I just don't see why people would want to spend unnecessary money when in the end, we are all going to graduate with the same cert.
On that cert, it doesn't state where you graduated from.
So why does it matter?
The experience gained from studying abroad, is that the case?
We are so young, we have a whole future ahead of us.
The world is our oyster.
Going abroad, experiencing the culture, etc, all this we can do after our studies.
We will have the chance.
As my aunt said when I was being bitter about my sister going abroad to further her studies, our time will come.


******
I was talking to Elton just now about how fortunate teenagers of our era are.
There was one point in time when owning a cellphone was such a huge thing to shout about.
I remember I was one of the first few students who owned a cellphone during Form 1.
Owning a cellphone was such a luxury back then.
Nowadays, the ubiquitous owning of cellphones among teenagers is nothing to be surprised about. Technology is advancing.

There was also one point in time when owning a car was luxury to the extreme.
My mum once told me, during the 1960s, only the wealthiest of families owned a car.
People had to work so hard, saving up their hard-earned money in order to purchase their own car.
Teenagers nowadays however, even before they earn their very first paycheck, they're already driving their own car given by their loving parents.
Not some old junk but cars like Honda City, Toyota Vios, Unser and such.
The sight of teens driving around expensive cars is so nondescript nowadays.

I don't know if it's just me, or if it's that people here place importance on auto and manual cars. The moment they see you driving a manual car, they'll go "OMG you're driving a manual!" as if you're the craziest person on earth to drive a manual car on the treacherous roads of KL.
Sometimes they even put you down for driving a manual car, as if manual drivers are some kinda lowlife whose parents don't earn enough money to buy an auto.

A convo I had with a friend the other day.

Girl: So what car are you gonna get after you get your license?
Me: Kancil, it's the family car, I grew up with it.
*moment of silence/disbelief ensues*

Yeah I know your family is rich enough to own expensive auto cars,
and your parents pamper you by buying you a new Saga/Swift/City/Vios/whatever.
Your very own car even before you complete your studies and generate your own income.

The question is, WHAT'S THE BIG DEAL?
Not everyone is born with a silver spoon in their mouth, life is not a bed of roses for everyone.

Don't freakin act like you're cooler than cool, just because you drive a big and expensive car.
I won't respect you for that, not unless you earned the car by yourself.
If you're only leeching your parents' money, there's really nothing to brag about.
It's only the people who have worked their way up from the bottom of bottoms to be wealthy and successful today, who know how to appreciate the value of money. These are the people whom I respect.



Hmm, just my two cents. :)

No comments: