Friday, October 9, 2009

How did I even think of becoming a lawyer

For some people, they've already had their lives planned out and pathways drawn out for them even when they're just barely completing high school.

As for me, I had no specific ambition, no inkling of what I would like to become in the future. Sure I had my days when I wanted to become a vet, a scientist, aspired to rule the world and whatnot, but I really didn't take any of that seriously. As I grew up, I realised that there were so many options to choose from. Even for accounting, I could opt for a mere diploma, a degree in finance and marketing, a degree in accounting and finance, and I could branch out to many other majors - and that's for accounting ONLY.

Back in Form 5, I started looking out for college handouts etc provided by the school and started to really think and decide on what I wanted to pursue.

Out of the many choices, I narrowed down to only 3:

Psychology
Law
Accounting

Funny how I was a Science student and a pretty decent one at that, I had no interest AT ALL in pursuing a career that had anything to do with Science. If only I had known I would end up in the accounting field in the end, I would have joined Kerryn in Arts class =/ I dunno about the rest but as for me, I took Science subjects so I could have a wider range of options to choose from.

Psychology was ruled out as the career options in Malaysia are not bright in this field - at least that was what I found out when I did my research.

Law? I HAVE NO EFFING IDEA LOL, totally NO IDEA why law was even an option. Where did the interest come from? I was quite an ignorant student living in my own little world and politics didn't interest me at all back then. I suppose the interest came from my aunt as she works in the Government, and the fact that i had quite a close-minded view on the life of a lawyer - you know those lawyers you see on TV, debating and defending their clients and all.

Now that I'm taking law as one of my subjects. I can laugh to myself whenever I think about how close I was to taking up law at Taylor's and heading to the University of Reading after that. I took this option really seriously. By "seriously", I mean telling all my family members, attending college roadshows and going home only with brochures on the law course.

Mastering law as a subject requires a LOT of memory power and quite a high degree of lifelessness (for Paper F4 ACCA at least). I'm one who'll only set my mind to learning something new when I'm convinced it will help me in some way or another in my life, and I can definitely see how learning the law can help me in many ways. But what I don't see, is that we have to memorise every single case and section in whatever Act? That's just pure crap to me!

Well anyway.

Back to the story.

The Inti College roadshow came to Kuantan first. That was when I started widening my options and looked into accounting.

THEN, the Sunway College roadshow came to Kuantan :) And that's when my life took a drastic turn. My mum is an LCCI holder, was an accounts teacher in her early days and she also exclusively taught my friends and I the Prinsip Akaun subject for SPM till I managed to score a spanking A1 :) Awesome mum I have. I would be lying if I said she did not influence me at all in arriving at my decision to take up ACCA, because she did.

After doing some research, most of all about the career prospects, and hearing everyone telling me about how ACCA holders are headhunted by employers, how ACCA is THE qualification to get if one were to pursue accounting etc. There were some pessimists as well - those who discouraged me by telling me that it isn't an easy course to get through especially at the professional level, those who warned me about my social life deteriorating once I signed up for it. I told myself not to listen to others and only listen to my heart - so I made my choice and registered there and then.

Now that I'm almost halfway through completing my course, I can't deny the level of intensity of this course. It definitely is challenging, it definitely requires a huge amount of effort, determination and perseverance. Up till now, I'm still trying to strike a perfect balance between LIFE and studies, obviously prioritisng LIFE more. No matter what, I'm one who has to appreciate the simple pleasures of life, however small. After all, what's life if you're not happy? Grades so far are pretty decent, I think I'm coping quite well.

Whatever it is, as long as it promises a pretty darn bright future, I'll say BRING IT ON. Many of us are extremely demotivated at this point as it is getting pretty stressful, and we haven't even reached the professional level. C'mon guys, light the fire :) Anyone can do anything if he sets his mind to it.

I'm typing all this at 3 in the morning, laptop is running out of battery so I'm taking this as a sign to log off now.

Have a good night guys :)

No comments: